More than 1,200 Palestinians were killed in Israel’s Operation Protective Edge, which started on August 6, including more than 2,100 civilians.
The latest figures from the Palestinian health ministry put the number of deaths from the operation as at least 4,077, including 1,868 civilians, the vast majority of whom were killed by the Israeli military.
An Israeli military spokesman told The Associated Press on Wednesday that the number is likely to rise, adding that Israel’s military was “doing everything in its power to minimize civilian casualties”.
“We know we can’t keep doing this.
We have to do everything possible to avoid civilian casualties and prevent further attacks,” he said.
He said the Israeli army was also investigating what caused the Israeli air force to fire missiles at a UN school in Gaza on Monday.
Israel claims it was responding to rocket fire by Hamas militants in Gaza.
On Tuesday, UN officials said more than 8,000 Palestinians had been killed since the conflict began in Gaza in 2007.
Israel’s military says it launched the operation in response to rockets fired from Gaza into Israel.
The Palestinian Health Ministry said on Wednesday it had recorded at least 2,087 civilians killed in the latest round of violence, with 2,037 children and 1,078 women.
In a statement, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) called for a “full and impartial investigation” into what caused casualties during the conflict, saying: “The fact that many of the casualties are children and the impact on children is huge.”